Wichita Falls Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Wichita Falls is a wonderful blend of traditional Southern living and the Western frontier. Given its location close to the cross timbers area of Texas and near the Red River, it is a great place to go for a ride on a motorcycle and take in the view. The beautiful weather and proximity to the highways means that a weekend trip to Dallas is always in order. Motorcyclists are lucky to see the beautiful natural scenery of Texas and experience its culture and history in a way that no one else can.
Unfortunately, experiencing the joy of the outdoors and taking in Texas’ rich history is not the only thing unique to Wichita Falls riders. Motorcyclists also face dangers on the road unlike any other motorist. Some of these dangers are:
- Drivers of traditional cars and commercial trucks pose a special danger to motorcyclists because the other drivers are used to looking out for other larger vehicles and do not always pay enough attention to notice smaller vehicles like motorcycles
- Increased risk of crashing due to weather conditions, such as, high winds, sudden rain, sun glare, and slippery roads
- Due to the small size of the motorcycles, they face an increased sensitivity to potholes, uneven height in the concrete, and dead animals in the road, and general irregularities in the road
- No barrier between those riding the motorcycle and the outside world – as opposed to other automobiles, which have more protections such as a steel body around the driver, seatbelts and airbags
- Other drivers not using their turn signal, especially when turning left or changing lanes Passing cars in the same lane
All motorcyclists face more risk than the drivers of traditional vehicles or commercial trucks. But, some motorcyclists face even higher risk of injury than other motorcyclists. Riders who face higher risks include:
- Motorcyclists who drive drunk or high
- Riders who do not wear a helmet
- Sport and supersport riders
- Young and inexperienced riders
How do I reduce my risk?
Although many Wichita Falls motorcycle accidents are not the fault of the motorcyclist, there are still things you as a rider can do to reduce your risk of injury. It might seem unfair to take extra precautions when it is others causing the danger, but it is very important to ensure your own safety.
- Always wear a helmet! It is undisputed that riders who wear a helmet face a lower risk of injury or death in the case of an accident.
- Start noticing the signs of when another driver is not paying attention. You can more easily avoid their negligent driving behavior if you can see it coming.
- Pay attention in your motorcycle safety course. This course is required for Wichita Falls motorcycle licenses, but other drivers do not have to take it.
Should I get a Wichita Falls, Texas motorcycle accident attorney?
Yes. It is important that you contact an attorney as soon as possible after an accident. Accidents are difficult to deal with but an experienced and compassionate Wichita Falls motorcycle accident lawyer will know the right steps to take to ensure that you receive compensation for your injuries.