Houston Truck Accident Lawyers
With a population of over 2.1 million and more than 575 miles of highway, Houston, Texas has a lot of commercial truck traffic. Given its relative proximity to Mexico, there are also a lot of foreign trucks that are not necessarily subject to the U.S.’s relatively strict regulations on the road.
Just the fact that there are so many trucks that are so large in traveling in Houston, Texas at any given time makes them exceptionally dangerous. When an accident involves a car, pickup truck, or motorcycle and a large commercial truck, the cars, pickups, and motorcycles are at a hefty disadvantage. The usual trucks involved in accidents in Houston include, but are not limited to:
● Semi-trailer trucks
● 18-wheeler trucks
● Mack trucks
● Big rigs
● Transfer trucks
Why do truck accidents happen?
It is a sad fact that many truck companies value profits over the safety of other drivers on the road – and even over the safety of their own drivers. The company’s’ determination to maximize profits by ensuring the speediest delivery of as many good as possible means that safety does not come first. People get hurt and killed as a result of the companies’ skewed priorities. Loncar Associates is committed to holding companies and truckers accountable for the injuries they cause in Houston, Texas truck accidents. There are many reasons why truck accidents happen and the following is a list of just some of the possible causes:
● Poor maintenance on the trucks because the company is slacking to save money
● Poor maintenance due to worker incompetency
● Overloaded trucks (usually, this in order to maximize profits)
● Overtired drivers – due to their own carelessness or due to heavy demands from the trucking companies
● Drivers that drive in poor weather conditions when it is unsafe to do so
● Speeding trucks
● Aggressive truck drivers
● Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol
It is important to know what caused the accident. By determining the cause of the accident, the Houston truck accident lawyers at Loncar Associates will learn the proper parties to name as defendants, what claims to bring, and the appropriate amount of damages to request.
Many different types of truck accidents occur in Houston. A lot of these accidents are avoidable. Due to the nature and construction of large commercial trucks, there is more than one way that they pose a threat to other drivers on the road. Some examples of different types of commercial truck accidents are:
● Jackknife Accidents: These accidents happen when the driver loses control of his trailer. Sometimes when the driver loses control, the trailer and truck can fold into one another, like a jackknife because of the way in which the cab and the trailer are connected. This is extremely dangerous. During this kind of accident, the truck and trailer cover multiple lanes of highway and can topple over, cause multi car pileups on fast moving highways.
● Bad Brakes: Trucks take much longer to stop than traditional vehicles. When the brakes in a truck are bad and the driver cannot slow the truck quickly enough, it can lead to catastrophic results.
If you have been in an accident with a large commercial truck, it is important that you contact your Loncar Associates Houston truck accident attorneys as soon as possible for a free consultation.